Friday, March 6, 2009

Due Date Revision for Essay I Re-write & Winner of the Family Activity

Because many people were absent Thursday when I handed the essays back and will not have much time to do a re-write next week, I am postponing the due date for the re-write until TUESDAY, MARCH 17TH. And that is a firm date -- no late re-writes will be accepted.


WINNER OF OUR FIRST FAMILY ACTIVITY:

The Yellow family (Amanda, Jessica G., Justina, Claire, and St. Claire) will receive three bonus points for your efforts. I will post your entry on MONDAY (3/9) along with some of my own commentary. Remember, that this is what you need to know from Chapter 3 for the midterm exam.

A couple general observations: I thought all the entries were actually pretty good, and so I believe we'll try to do more of this in the future. However, some were not sufficiently sensitive to some changes in Spencer's views, particularly as regards gender. In terms of his use of the organic analogy, Spencer undoubtedly fits some of the conservative propositions on society such as #3 and #4, but there, too, it also needs to be stressed that he makes room for the individual and his view of society is individualistic in some respects (and a point of attack for Durkheim). I will elaborate on these points on this blog on Monday.

No comments: