Sunday, April 27, 2008

Comments on "Overlooked Concepts or Ideas II" & Reminders

I read through summaries and questions the families submitted regarding our last family exercise and have decided not to accept any of the questions. Everyone who participated will get the 5 activity points however, but no bonus points of course. Frankly, after reading over these sections in the text again and your comments, I was not convinced these concepts or ideas were worth resurrecting, however central they may be regarded by the authors. I would say that I was sympathetic to the Black family's selection of Merton's theory of deviance (especially since I do talk about that in my criminology class), but the text does a real hatchet job on it (which I did not expect you to know) and the family presentation had some problems. I honestly tried to re-work some of the questions you submitted, but in the end I did not think it was worth the effort. Nonetheless, I trust you got something out of this exercise, even if it will not be covered on the final exam.

________________________

REMINDERS: (1) papers are due on Tuesday 4/29.
(2)check the April 25 blog post for a description of our last short essay assignment as well as a description of our last family activity involving making up questions for the final exam.

See you Tuesday.

No comments: