Monday, April 21, 2008

More Lecture Notes

Since I have some time this morning, I thought I'd go ahead and wrap up my commentary on functionalism by posting my lecture notes on Robert Merton, Parsons' greatest student and colleague who just passed away in 2003. Again, copy these notes and insert them in your notebook. If you have any questions about any of these blog-posted lecture notes, don't hesitate to ask, preferably at the beginning of class. So, on Tuesday (4/22) we'll jump ahead to Chapter 16, and I will also give the families some time in class to consider the overlooked concept or idea you want to present on Thursday.

Robert K. Merton (1910-2003)

A. Of all of Parsons' students/colleagues/defenders, I believe it can be fairly said that Robert Merton left the biggest mark on contemporary American sociology. And he did so in many areas (deviance, methods, etc.), as well as by modifying some aspects of functionalism. It is this latter point that I want to focus on in particular.

B. Merton's contributions to functionalism are discussed under the heading, "Specifying Functionalism" (p. 361). There are three such conceptual specifications that are covered, which I would say have broad application.

1. First, the distinction between MANIFEST and LATENT function. MANIFEST FUNCTION being "the observed or intended outcome." LATENT FUNCTION being "the unintended or unrecognized result."

(a) The authors then proceed to give examples of this from Durkheim and Veblen. Merton apparently referred to Veblen's Theory of the Leisure Class and suggested that: "accumulation of material possessions had the manifest function of making life more comfortable and the latent function of providing status and prestige." (I am not so sure I agree -- I believe Veblen would have insisted that status and prestige are part of the manifest function of the accumulation of wealth.)

(b) I like the example of Piven and Cloward in their book, Regulating the Poor, where they distinguish bewteen the manifest function of welfare (reducing or eliminating poverty) and the latent function being regulating the poor (give the poor just enough so they will not rebel). This distinction suggests the need to look beneath the appearance of things.

2. Second, the concept of DYSFUNCTION (or negatively functional). Note that in describing this, the authors also note how it responds to an issue Inkeles raised. See middle two paragraphs, p. 362. (the term, dysfunction, should be in bold print.)

C. The above distinctions (manifest, latent, dysfunction) have implications for Parsons' focus on system equilibrium. See top p. 364.

D. Finally, I believe we need to acknowledge a contribution of Merton's that I know I've often made use of (although I wonder if it was really original with him) -- the concept of a SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY.

1. The authors note how "self-fulfilling prophecy" is connected with another well-known observation of W.I. Thomas -- "If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." See bank example, p. 365. Also, Dr. King -- Belief in racial inferiority justified slavery and later segregation, and that slavery and segregation kept Blacks inferior, which served to rationalize the perpetuation of that unequal system and convince many Blacks to accept their status.

E. The bottom line for Merton as regards his ammendments to functionalism is that he challenged the accusation that functionalism is inherently conservative.

No comments: